Dry cough in itself is not a disease, but a symptom of an underlying condition. Environmental factors or serious medical conditions could trigger it. In order to eliminate dry cough, you must treat the cause, and this is mainly possible through correct medical diagnosis.
Natural remedies can be used to alleviate dry cough particularly when the discomfort results from environmental factors. For dry cough as symptom of a disease, a targeted, drug-based treatment may be necessary.
1. Honey and lemon make a powerful remedy against dry cough. 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and one tablespoon of honey mixed together can work wonders for alleviating respiratory discomfort.
2. Ginger is a common dry cough remedy, particularly as most people have it available at home. It can be used raw with some salt on it, or in a tea-like concoction. It all depends on whether you can handle the spicy taste of raw ginger or not. Three or four such natural treatments per day, and you should get better.
3. Garlic has powerful healing properties mainly due to its antibiotic action. In the treatment of dry cough, garlic proves helpful particularly in the case of a growing infection. There are several ways of using this natural cure for dry cough:
- mince a clove of garlic, drizzle it with honey and leave it overnight, then consume it next morning;
- include two or three cloves of garlic in your meals, as part of salads or dressings, particularly if you have a sensitive stomach;
chew and suck on a clove of garlic, three to four times per day.
4. Onion juice and onion concoction have a decongestant action on the respiratory system, soothing the airways and loosening mucus.
- mix onion juice with honey, let it settle for 4 or 5 hours than drink it;
- boil a full onion together with the leaves and two nut kernels in 500 ml of water, for 30 minutes. Sweeten the concoction with honey and drink a cup three or four times per day.
5. Thyme can be used against dry cough as essential oil, tea or in steam baths. Thyme has an incredible antibacterial and disinfectant action on the respiratory system working excellent against various types of cough.
6. Grape juice with honey is easy to make, incredibly tasty and highly effective to provide relief from persistent dry cough.
The list of dry cough home remedies does not stop here. There are healing herbs growing in all parts of the world, and many of the lung disease treatments take something from traditional medicine wisdom. Remedies are usually available around the house, you don’t have to search for them on the other side of the world.
!! Don’t stop the medical treatment instated by the doctor to replace it with one of the above mentioned dry cough solutions. Natural and medical remedies can often be used in parallel!